Thursday, August 9, 2007

Perspective

Today, a fellow blogger wrote about a connecting moment that she had with one of my previous posts. It was a post about irony and how hard it is to realize what we have, or how easy our lives are, until they just aren't anymore. While, I haven't forgotten.....Lord, how could I possibly? She kind of helped to nail it into my head again.

It actually made me realize how much I have actually been thinking about perspective lately. This weekend was the annual Memphis to Peoria St. Jude Run, along with telethon. My friend, I and all our kids went down to the Civic Center to cheer all the runners in. While we were driving the 20 miles to Peoria we were talking about some of the stories of the kids who St. Jude helps. She was telling me the story of a little girl (I think she was around a year) who had a brain tumor and the struggles that her parents went through. She commented to me that she couldn't imagine having to live with those problems. My response was that I wish I could have had that choice. Now, I want to clarify, in no means do I think life would be good or easy to have a child who is that desperately ill. I think it would be stressful and spirit-breaking every step of the way, but you know what? I would have another minute, or hour, or day, or week with my baby. To get to hold him in my arms...I would take absolutely anything I could get.

Toward the end of our week in the PICU, after the 7th surgery, I was told that should Kruex respond, he would have no small bowel at all. The only chance he would have would be a transplant and those types of transplants were neither common, nor all too successful. I looked hard at what the rest of my life would look like and it was absolutely fine with me. I was staring down the barrell of a gun and to have to take the shot in the side of my face instead of my forehead was just fine with me.

Right then and there, in my car on my way to Peoria with my best friend, I realized just how much my perspective has changed over the past 4 months. Believe me, my older two still frustrate me to no end. I still wish they could just stop fighting, stop arguing, stop with the dirty looks and I yell and scream and pull my hair out...but I DO remember to thank God every day that I still have them here to yell at. And I also try to remember to thank Him for every day that I get to be here, too.

With all that said, I heard a song today that really struck a chord. I am a *sometimes* country music fan and my new cubemate listens to it, so I have found myself more drawn to it lately than I have been for quite a while. There is a new Carrie Underwood song out and while the entire song is applicable, this part really drove it home for me:

So easy to get lost inside
A problem that seems so big, at the time
It's like a river that's so wide
And swallows you whole
While you sittin round thinking about what you can't change
And worryin' about all the wrong things
Time's flying by, moving so fast
Better make it count, cause you can't get it back

Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing
Is just a grain of sand
What you've been out there searchin for forever
Is in your hands
Oh, When you figure out love is all that matters after all
It sure makes everything else
Seem so small

So, maybe it is because of Krista's post, or David's recent accident...but I guess the message for the night is to just appreciate. Appreciate what you DO have because it really can be taken away at any moment. I am certain that at the end of our lives we will not be judged on how much we were able to accomplish in this lifetime, but by how kind and loving we were along the way.

14 comments:

Mendy said...

This brought tears to my eyes, and is something I really needed to read tonight. I'm stressed to the max right now, and feel like I'm about to have a breakdown. On top of everything else, my daughter has frustrated me to no end the last couple of days.

Thank you SO much for your post. I needed it. I can't begin to imagine what you've been through emotionally. On top of all you're handling, you reach out to remind us to appreciate family, and life. and I do.

Thanks for the sweet comments about hubby. I am VERY thankful he's alive and not paralized after what happend.

((hugs))

J~Mom said...

I have tears streaming down my face. Lori you have something in you...something so wise and just spot on. You don't have any idea how much I needed that and especially after today. Why is it so easy to forget how much we have to be thankful for in the middle of the day to day stress? I am thankful for friends like you who help me see so much more out of life.

ws said...

love your post...I think sometimes it is hard to have perspective until something happens that forces it. living in the moment is rough because I think society teaches us to always be worried about the next hour, day, month, etc. at least that is the reason why I try to say somewhat separated from the 'rat race.'

I feel your *sometimes* country vibe, I'm like that with Tim McGraw...go figure.

jahowie said...

Thank you for your post. I've been struggling with some of the usual stresses of life lately, and they really don't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. I can tell that you have a big heart, and that people around you are very lucky to have your love in their lives.

Jess said...

Very touching post.

Scott McMurtrey said...

your strength is contagious. thank you for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Amen.

Krista said...

Well, I'm glad I could offer you some perspective just as you did, me. I've been thinking about all of this a lot since the bridge collapse in Minneapolis last week - it's just sad that it always takes a tragedy to remind us to appreciate life. Thanks for reminding all of us to just breathe in, breathe out, and say thanks.

Larissa said...

Awesome post! Thanks for that. I'm really inspired by the courage, humor and tenacity in your blog. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Marcy said...

Thank you for this :-) You know, I'm really not a fan of country AT ALL but the lyrics to that song are very touching.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a link on another's blog - all I have to say is big hugs to you and your two oldest children.

iJuls said...

You can spend your whole life building something from nothing
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway
You can chase a dream that seems so out of reach and you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway

Chorus:
God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray it doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway, I do it anyway

This world's gone crazy and it's hard to believe that tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart, for all the right reasons, and in a moment they can choose to walk away
Love 'em anyway

Repeat Chorus

You can pour your soul out singing a song you believe in that tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway, sing it anyway

I sing, I dream, I love, anyway,

iJuls said...

Oh, that was "Anyway" by Martina McBride. Probably will be playing for the neighboring cube sometime if they like country.

Laurel said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is so easy sometimes to forget.

Your strength is amazing!