Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Keep Breathing

Today was the first day back to school for my 8 year old. 3rd grade. God, I remember being IN 3rd grade. I loved 3rd grade. Mrs. Cox has always been my favorite teacher. Jack was supposed to have Mrs. Grebner, but just found out last week that they added another class and he was put in with the new teacher. He called today when he got done with school and told me that Mrs. Johns is even better than Mrs. Grebner because under their name tags, she put a cheat sheet! LOL I can't even wait to see what 3rd graders think is cheating ;) After I talked to Jack, Payton had to get on the phone. It's always interesting to talk to her:

P: What are you doing?
M: Going to run.
P: WHAT? (In her best high-pitched, self-righteous voice)
M: I am going to run.
P: When are you coming to get us?
M: After work.
P: WHAT?
M: I am going to the gym to run instead of going to lunch, then I will go back to work and pick you up when I am done.
P: Oh. Okay. Gotta go. Love ya, bye.

She must have thought I was going to the track and really, how dare I think about going there before picking her up? Once she found out I was still in Peoria, I had her approval :P

I really need to figure out this breathing crap. You would think being 30 and all that it would kind of be second nature by now :P So any suggestions would be great...maybe I should get back into my yoga routine. I suppose that couldn't hurt.

Having said that, today's run was the best that I have had for quite some time. I am soooooo not an impressive runner, but 3.5 miles in roughly 35 minutes and I'll take that. I had a 1/4 mile walk break around mile 2.5 and it was definitely better than most of my runs in the past 4 - 6 weeks. I really can't wait until the weather starts to chill out a little bit and I can run outside again. The 1/8 mile track at the gym is great and keeps me off the dreadmill, but there is no comparison to running outside. Robyn mentioned yesterday about running in the rain...I would be all for it, but it probably wouldn't be nice to make the kids sit out in the rain as I run around the track. They would actually most likely enjoy it, but with Payton's nasty cough lately - I would probably fall out of contention for mother of the year :P Speaking of winning awards...there was a definite runner-up at the gym yesterday. This woman had not 1, not 2, but 4!!!!!!!!!! kids with her in the weight/treadmill area. One of which was in a snuggli strapped onto her while she was lifting weights! ??? I mean, seriously, who does that? The other 3 all looked to be between 1 - 3 years and were all over the place. They tried to get on a treadmill with an older woman...were about 2 inches away from the elliptical that their mother was on...and just generally under everyone's feet. Oh, and did I mention the crying? Yeah, that was a fun day at the gym.

15 comments:

Marcy said...

Breathing while running? You don't even want to be next to me while I run . . . that is unless you like that sort of thing :P I don't really think about it, I just do it even if it means sounding like a phone sex operator LOL

What?!? Shut up!! Some lady had a baby in a Snuggli while lifting weights at the gym?!? They allow kids in there? Good God! I can't even imagine having 1 of my kids in there. Especially not Cameron. Kid is a damn monkey LOL

Marathoner in Training said...

Lets see, with the breathing thing, it usually go "BREATH IN AND BREATH OUT". I hope that my advice works. If not, we have a problem. You run about the same pace as I do, but you need to get out in the heat and run. I actually wait for it to get dark to go and run. At least then I do not have the sweat dripping down the sun glasses. Have a great day.

Mendy said...

I am a horrible breathing runner. That's why I wear headphones - so I don't have to hear the horrible breathing and it scare me too much to slow down. I only normally pay attention to it when I get a side stitch in which case I breathe out as the same foot strikes. But, then I feel like I'm gonna get all clumsey and fall on the road... can't do 2 things at once.

Good run!!!! and can't beleive that lady was allowed to have children that young and a babie in the gym. What tha?

Lori said...

I guess I should have clarified that a bit more, kids are NOT allowed in that area, but apparently the supervision is not quite what it should be :P

Thanks for all the breathing advice ;) I really thought you would all have some gems for me!

Larissa said...

Not much to add to the breathing thing - except when I get a side stitch I breath on the opposite foot strike - I really don't think it matters, I thinks its like hiccups and concentrating hard on something else makes it stop. That's my theory, I'm sticking to it.

Lifting weights with a baby in a snugli. Hmmmm. That takes a prize somewhere. Not sure where, exactly, but somewhere there's a Darwin Award with her name on it.

Amy said...

Oh my crap...that mom was a weirdo. Go to a gym with kid care lady!!!

Jason The Running Man said...

Thanks for the encourging words. I probably sound like a pregnant woman during a lamaze class:)

Scott McMurtrey said...

oh yes, the 3rd grade. back when i was cool.

breathing? i try to breathe in for two steps then out for two steps. that seems to help me keep a nice rhythm.

jahowie said...

Seems like the kids could get hurt and it also sounds like they can be very distracting to others.

On the breathing thing, I don't think that I'll be much help for you there. You are doing great with keeping up with your workouts though. Keep it up!!

Jess said...

I'm a heavy breather, so I don't know if you want advice from me. But I do find that if I remember to stand up straight and not hunch forward, that the breathing is better.

Laurel said...

The only way I can breathe right while running is to find something to TOTALLY take my mind off of it. Try concentrating on something else completely and see if that helps.

ws said...

I didn't really focus on my breathing or even think about it until I stopped wearing headphones. The first few runs it drove me crazy and then I started moderating it better - now I hardly even hear myself...very strange. The less I think about it the better...

Running in the rain - awesome, great, not enough superlatives to describe how good it feels...

Unknown said...

Breathing? I agree, you should do it. ;-)

Great job with the run and amen to running outside. Sounds like your gym needs to post some rules about young children in the weight room before one of the little ones gets really hurt.

David said...

A running coach once advised to time breathing with stride, and train the body to expect it that way. I try that sometimes, but usually wind up just panting like fish on the bank of a river.

J~Mom said...

The breathing thing is tough...my friend told me to try to press down your breath through your diaphram...uh ok. LOL I just try to remember to breath at all.

That is crazy about the lady at the gym...talk about being desperate to workout. ;>)