Saturday, November 25, 2006

WE DID IT!!!!

42:30! That was our time to cross the line today.

Jack did so amazing and I am so stinking proud of him! There were so many people and afterwards you wouldn't believe how many of them came up to congratulate him and pat his back/shake his hand. I think he really felt good about it!

When they started the race, everyone just took off in a mad dash. Thankfully, I didn't get sucked into the crowd, but Jack nearly did! I grabbed the hood of his sweatshirt and pulled him back and he was PISSED at me! LOL But believe me, by a mile down the road he was glad I didn't let him go off crazy like that ;) Our splits were around 10:30/mile most of the time, which was pretty much where I wanted us to stay. I didn't want to run too much faster than that with him there and really just wanted to run as much of it as we could. We didn't even walk at all until right around the 3-mile or 3.25-mile mark and then only for maybe 30 seconds if that.

The last mile got tough for Jack and he really wanted to stop and walk when we were about 1/4 of a mile from the end. I pushed him on and kept telling him that we were almost there! There were two teeny little hills to go over and then down the road to the finish. He did so great and kept pushing on. I thought he was going to breakdown in tears that last little leg, and he told me later that he almost did :( Poor kid. Am I the meanest mom ever, or what?

I told him that I wanted to keep his bib number and he looked at me like I was nuts. I told him that when he became a great marathoner, I wanted to have the first number from the first race he ever did ;)

We will definitely be running again!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

ohhh I'm soo glad you kept Jacks bib too!!! He did awesome..with you buy his side!! WOOHOOO!!!

Are you ready for the next one ;)

J~Mom said...

You guys did so awesome!!! WTG Lori and Jack!!!