Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dogs and Kids - Any advice welcome!

You guys really give the best advice! Thanks for all the help and the encouragement on the pup. We did end up getting a dog over the weekend. She kind of fell into our laps and I am actually trying to figure out if she is a dog that is going to work out or not. A friend of my mom's adopted a Chow from the pound about a month ago and basically pawned it off on us without much warning about her temperment or disposition. She is really a very good dog and it is just a matter of figuring out if I can get her to recognize who the boss is (ME! not her) as to whether or not she is going to be able to stay or not. If it weren't for Payton, it wouldn't even be a question. We would just patiently make it work, but with Payton in the picture, I need to be sure that the dog is not going to act aggressively towards her. I have committed to giving her a full week (unless you all tell me that is not nearly enough time to get her figured out) to listen to me, less if she is openly aggressive. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to try and I really would like to give the dog the benefit of the doubt as I would hate to take her back to a shelter :( Unfortunately, my mom's friend knew all of this and still didn't think twice about sending her into a house with a 3 year old, and I am just very frustrated that some people can be that irresponsible.

The kids are already in love and the dog is crazy about Jack. I don't know if it is his attitude or that he is a boy or a bit bigger, but she just loves him and the feeling is mutual. So, if anyone has any good tips for training Chows, please don't hold back. So far, the only thing that I am very much against is spanking or hitting the dog. From what I have read, Chows do not take kindly to this and it can really turn things bad quickly. I am trying to figure something else out and would also, if at all possible, rather not use a spray bottle because I would like to be able to spray detangler/odor crap on her coat as it needs lots of attention and I really don't want her scared of a spray bottle.

Other than that, running is going well. My breathing is really coming along well, which makes me so happy, but my shins are just screaming at me. They would probably love me more if I would drop some of this stupid weight that I seem to be holding onto just in case food becomes extinct :P One of these days it will all fall into place, right?

12 comments:

Nikki said...

Yikes, you got your hands full as always.

Lori, I would caution a chow. My old neighbor had one and it had to be on a chain at the back of the yard as the small kids were at risk. I have never owned one but have just "heard" chows are not good kid dogs.

That is really sucky that the lady was that irresponsible. Slap her for me :D

I'm glad your breathing is coming along..that makes things more enjoyable. Now you can sing out loud like me ...hahahaaa I dont sing. Well I sing but its all chopped up because I can't breathe!

Keep your water intake up to help with the shin splints.

Marcy said...

LMAO You rock chica!! I can't believe you got a pup. Keira BEGS for one and I'm like . . . .ummmmmmm I have enough kids. No WAY!!! Maybe one day when SHE can take care of it :P I have no advice though since it's been FOREVER since I had a dog. Hopefully he works out for the best though. Chows are adorable!

Have you been fitted for shoes yet? I can't remember. Once I was fitted I never really had a prob with the shins.

Amy said...

No advice for you....I know a super cute chow that I love and I know a super aggressive chow that I really, seriously hate.
But I know they can be kind of aggressive, can't they?
Shame on the lady for pawning off the dog....but I hope it works out for you either way!
Keep us posted!!!!!

Wes said...

Yea, I don't know anything about Chows either... As far as the shin splints go... ice, ice, and more ice. Try not to bounce when you run and don't push off with your toes. See if you can find some exercises to strengthen and stretch the shin muscles. Good luck!!

Mendy said...

We don't have a dog, and I as a kid never did either, so I know no advice. But, I assume no matter what type of dog it is, they all are gonna need some house and kid training. So, sounds like you have the tolerance and patience to do that. I understand you want to because of the kids. I would too... we're such suckers, right?

As far as the shin pain, my first thought (as was Marcy's) are shoes. Shin splits almost always point to wrong type of shoes for feet. If you've went that route already, then I don't know what it would be. I had shin problems most of my running background, and still get them from time to time, and I have been fitted for my shoes. Hope it gets better!

David said...

If I were you, I would contact a local K9 obedience school, ask some questions about overall trainability and suitability of a chow with a 3YO, and then consider obedience class(es). The pros can teach you things specific to that dog that it would be hard for us to do virtually.

I hope it works out, because it sounds like Jack won't be happy if the dog has to go. Does he like the dog enough to help clean up the huge piles of dookie the dog is going to deposit? Sounds like a good chore to me.
:-)

Jess said...

I had a Chow-mix in college and she was nothing but a sweatheart, but I do know that most breeders warn that Chows are not a good breed for children -- because, like you said, they can be aggressive and territorial. However, I think ech dog is an indivdual and it depends on how it was trained.

How old is the dog? What was its experience prior to the shelter? Does it understand basic commands?

It may act a little weird at first because it has had a confusing time and when dogs don't have a routine, they can become very uncomfortable and depressed/mean/destructive. Try to establish a firm routine, create a comfortable but firm environment, and give her a chance. You may need more than a week to determine if it's the right fit.

J~Mom said...

Another discipline technique is to put pennies in the bottom of an empty soda can. If you pick it up and shake it the sound should scare the pup. It never worked for us but it's worth a shot.

Our neighbor had 2 chows and one was kid friendly and the other not. I would think that within a week you will know.

The best thing for my shins is trying to ice 3-4 times a day. It's a pain but really does work.

I have been thinking about you! :>)

My Life said...

Have you been watching your Cesar Millan? I love that guy and he's given me some good tips... the humans are always first (through doors, food, greetings etc). Don't hit, use the hand-to-throat technique until the dog is submissive. Don't try to soothe them when they're agitated (hard, but apparently it reinforces the agitated behavior). Anyway, I think Cesar rocks... hope this puppy does too!

(& sorry about those shin splints! The only thing that has worked for me was a combo of new shoes, lots of icing, ibuprofen and more rest).

Laurel said...

HAHA...in case food goes extinct! I need to use that one.

Wow, good luck with the puppy! It will be a lot of work, but should be fun. Hope he works out well the the family!

ws said...

I know nothing about dogs or kids, except that they both eat off the floor so they wouldn't survive very long living with me.

Larissa said...

I second the Dog Whisperer idea. Also, get a crate, if you can - one that's big enough for the dog but not huge. That's the dog's "place" and she should stay there when you're not home. Also, anytime the dog does something bad or acts agressively in any way, you give her a time out in the crate. You have to convince her that you and the kids are her pack, that you are the Alpha and that she is the lowest on the totem pole - i.e. she can't act agressively towards the kids because they are above her in the pack. There are a lot of really good dog training books out there -and if she ever does anything to make you think she's really dangerous, she goes. I would investigate and see if there is a Stray Rescue program in your area - they take dogs into foster homes and get to know them before finding the right home - that way they find the right match for each dog - and they never euthanize. Good luck!