Monday, January 7, 2008

A Hard 3

At least I did it, right? Ugh. I did 3 miles over lunch and until about the last half mile or so, was really fighting each and every bit of it. I am pretty sure that I was finally settling into it at the end, but I needed to get back to work. I have no illusions whatsoever. This half is going to HURT, but I can't wait for all the fun that I am going to have! I cannot believe I am leaving in 3 1/2 days!!! I can't remember the last vacation I had without kids, let alone the last vacation I had that wasn't centered around mourning and grief. I am beyond ready for this :)

There was an area high school student that died this weekend. He was a senior and died in a car accident on his way to his grandma's house to wash her car for Sunday church. His grandma is one of my grandma's best friends and although I didn't know him, I know his family and my brother and cousins new him. From what I can gather, he sounds a lot like my brother and my cousin, Travis. Great kids that are always there to help other people. Honestly, the only other seniors or early 20-something kids that I know who would give up a Saturday afternoon to wash their grandmother's car is my brother and cousin. When they get bored, they go hang out with Grandma. Especially since Grandpa died. They are amazing, as it sounds like this boy was.

There have been quite a few articles in the local paper about him since the accident and as I was reading some of them online today, I noticed that some of the comments weren't very "helpful", we'll say. There were comments from people saying that they are sure he was great, but wondering why so much attention was dedicated to the loss. There were others demanding to know "what happened" and blindly throwing blame on the teen (speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, etc.) and on his parents (perhaps they had him driving a car that was untrustworthy ???). While I have been told by my brother (who knew both the teen and the family) that he was speeding and lost control, does it change anything knowing that? Does it make it an easier loss to bear because he was "responsible" for what happened? Life is such a precious thing and grief is so incredibly hard to bear, especially fresh grief. Do his parents really need to be subjected to reading those types of comments attached to wonderful articles of their son? Do his friends need to be put through that?

I just don't understand who it helps to make those types of comments. I understand it is your "right" to comment in whatever way you desire, but start a blog, bitch to your family and friends, harp on your own children to make wise choices by using this as an example, but PLEASE let this family (and every family that is forced to go through this kind of pain) grieve in peace. Believe me, every thought you could think, they already have. Every question on their parenting that you could come up with, has already crossed their minds a dozen times. They don't need your help feeling like their world is falling apart. Because right now? It is.

Sorry for the rant, but I just really wish that more people would realize that sometimes it takes a bigger person to just close their mouth and keep walking.

12 comments:

Wes said...

I've been around the block a few times, and the anonymity of the internet can just bring out the worst in people. Don't blame them for being pathetically human.

That's what I like so much about our community. We are semi-anonymous, but then again, we aren't are we?

Nice to see you get excited about trip! Call me off line so we can discuss a deal about compromising photos and stories of Lisa, Marcy, David, and Mendy :-) I know you're a saint :-) :-)

Marcy said...

That is exactly the same sort of thing that happened here maybe 2 months ago. A teenage girl and her friend died in a car accident. Tons of people writing into the "Letters To The Editor" section a day or 2 later blaming the kids for their own deaths, asking about alcohol, drugs, and speeding. I was disgusted and felt awful for the parents,family, and friends.

Don't sweat the run chica! We're all a little under trained :P

Pokey said...

I hate it when people dont take time to think about how what they say can affect others.....sorry you (and others) always have to deal with other's stupidity about situations they cant possibly understand.

And Lori....you will do just fine this weekend! I am slooooow, and am planning on running my own pace so as not to bring everyone else down......so dont sweat it! There will be plenty of fun to be had together all weekend long!!

And I know Lisa is going to talk to you...but I'd be happy to pick you up at the airport so that you dont have to wait around while she picks up David & Mendy. We'll figure something out that works for everyone! Cant wait to meet you!!!

Unknown said...

I agree with you whole heartedly. It is a sign that most people forget that they are human. You are human. I am human. They go out and do a lot of blaming and do a lot of 'finger-pointing' game. Hello? We just lost a brother. I read newspaper on a daily basis and all they do is constantly blame, blame and blame. Doesn't anyone have anything nice to say? You are not alone. This what makes all of us, bloggers, so special that we share this feelings.
Keep it up with your running regiment. Nice and slow is all you have to do to have fun.

Jess said...

Those comments about the deceased are unfortunate, but best ignored.

Good luck with the race this weekend! I'm sure once you're there with everyone else, and the excitement of the day, the running will come much easier.

Nancy said...

You are going to do fine. It might hurt a little while you are doing it, but doesn't every race? :D I'm so jealous, girlie. This is going to be a fun one. I'm so glad you get to do this.

Don't you think most of those people have never been in the situation so they are kind clueless but also not real bright about feelings in general? I've been around the block a few times with Wes too, and I find there is just a lot of selfishness and not a lot of self awareness. You know, everyone should be perfect like us :D :D

Go have a ball and let your hair down. Wish I were coming with...

My Life said...

Your last line said it all... just keep that mouth shut and keep walking! Some people are just oblivious to others' feelings!

Yay for your upcoming vacation! You deserve it!!!

Larissa said...

I think people say rude things like that out of fear - fear that it will happen to them. They find someone to blame so they can prove to themselves that nothing bad can happen to them.

As for the race - HAVE A BLAST!! Remember, its much better to be undertrained than overtrained. Enjoy the ride.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Have a good time with fellow bloggers...Look forward to seeing ur reports & pics !

Viv said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :-)
I always use the U scan, too it was a bad day with one. LOL!

It is difficult to hear some people throw their opinions so freely on delicate subjects. That is what they do throw and think(maybe) later.

The movies will be on DVD soon. Now they all fly right to DVD. So, keep them on your grown up list for sure;-)

Good luck in AZ, but most importantly have fun! Looking forward to your report.

jahowie said...

Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

Good luck in AZ!! I can't wait to read the race reports.

Mendy said...

That's too bad about the kid. I'm so sorry to hear that.

You're fine with the run. We're going to have fun with it!