Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Born to Run?

During my lunchtime run today, I started wondering about natural talents. Some people seem like they are just born to be runners (*coughcoughMarcy/Davidcoughcough*) and then there are the rest of us :P

Obviously, some people are intellectually gifted, some artistically and then there is physically. I do believe that elite athleticism is inherent, but can you learn to be a fast runner? I played volleyball in high school and was by no means a superstar, but I was decent. I also know that it wasn't natural skill. I didn't just have this amazing vertical jump that made me a spiking maniac, but I did work my ass off and was able to be decent enough to be on the all-conference team, etc.

Now, I do know that if I work hard I can definitely improve my running skills, but I have a lot of doubt that I will ever consider 8 minute miles *my* pace. And honestly, I don't think I even care that much, which is strange, too. Maybe I just figure if I consistently put in the time and training, eventually I will see the results I'm looking for and to this point, I can honestly say I just haven't put in the effort it deserves.

Jack's only hope in life is to play professional baseball. He probably has as much a shot at actually doing that as he does of winning the lottery. But regardless, I hope that he works his little tail off and never gives up. And maybe, just maybe, he can look back at what his mom was able to get out of her non-runner-self and see that it is possible to morph yourself into what you want to be, even if you weren't necessarily born that way.

8 comments:

Viv said...

What a beautiful post, Lori.
I do believe some talents are just God given, but we have the ability to work with what we have.
Fantastic!

Marcy said...

What a great post Lori! And I think Jack already has an excellent model in perseverance :-)

LMAO! I was totally thinking of peeps like Bill or Doug being natural runners. I think that it's combo of both genetics and work.

Wes said...

I'm a natural athlete. I've never been great at anything. I'm just really good at a lot of things :-) I, honestly, think that our focus should be on realizng our potential at whatever we do. That keeps us happy :-)

jahowie said...

I know I'm not a natural runner. I also never thought that I would be running as well as I am now. We all run for different reasons. Some train for racing, some for fitness, and some just for joy and the high that comes from a good run. Keep up the good work on your running, and remember to always have fun!! :-)

Jess said...

I am 5 feet tall with legs the length of a 3rd grader, so I am certainly not "built" for running. But over time, I have seen a lot of improvement and that's because I have kept at it. I think success at most things involves 3 steps: practice, practice, practice.

J~Mom said...

What? You didn't put me with the natural runners? LOL j/k Great post, I know what you mean.

Mendy said...

Excellent post, Lori. I agree whole-heartedly. I can look back to just 8-12 months ago where I was at my pace, and the time I took off drastically changed that, and I'm way slower than then, and I wasn't fast back then. So, I've realized that I have to build it back up and that means work. I, too don't think I'll ever have an 8 min/mile average pace, nor do I want to. It's really not my desire. Nor, do I want to do ultra's - just not for me. I want to enjoy it, too and when I start focusing on the numbers game, I loose my desire for it. I have to find that balance in between improving myself as a runner but, not too much to where I put too much pressure on.

David said...

Born to run? Man, most days I feel like I was born to eat nachos and drink beer. I suppose I'm in the middle ground, where I work my ass off but I get the benefits of it. I'm glad it's that way, because I know I would get really discouraged if I worked hard and just didn't see the improvement.

But the drive to keep going comes from within, and it sounds like you've been bitten by the bug that infects you with that drive and ability to enjoy it. It's going to be a great year for you!