Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Family Fun

It has been such a nice long weekend. I got out of the house Friday night. The kids stayed with my dad, which is the first time since Kruex was in the hospital, when there was no choice but for them to stay wherever was available. They had a really good time and Payton even asked to go back again on Saturday night. That is so unlike her! She has a VERY hard time leaving me for any amount of time. So, it looks like just maybe I will get a chance to start having a sitter for the kids more often. This will be a good thing for me and I really need to try to take advantage of that on a semi-regular basis.

Saturday morning I got a haircut and then the kids and I hung out with my mom for most of the day. Just nice and quiet. Nowhere to be, nothing pressing to do. It was good. Payton and I went to church Sunday morning and then decided to head to the grocery store to have a cookout that night. My friend was getting back from New York and it was her birthday so I figured if they weren't doing anything we would have them over. So, it ended up being a really fun night. Lots of laughing, eating and drinking and the kids all had a ball. I ended up with 4 kids spending the night Sunday night and then took them all swimming yesterday. Nice, easy weekend.

But I was bad and did no running, so today was back to the grind. Ended up doing just over 3 1/2 miles and finished strong, but about halfway through I really wanted to quit. I felt so strong when I started (probably due to the *taper* :P) but then got a horrible side stitch and just couldn't lose it for over a mile. I really just wanted to throw in the towel and just start over tomorrow, but I managed to push through and am really glad that I did. I also know I really need to start getting my miles up there if I am going to really consider a half in January. The plan is to start building some miles and see how I am feeling. I am just not sure if I really have the desire to run long races. Maybe just to do one, but I don't want to get myself where I am constantly looking at running as such a chore. Hopefully it will get to be a little more fun as I get myself into better shape...or at least I can dream, right? :P

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Dreaming is free afterall. ;-)

Sounds like you have a nice, relaxing weekend. I suppose I should try that someday. Good job pushing through the down parts of the run and finishing strong.

ws said...

wouldn't you prefer to just be delusional and convince yourself you enjoy the running. once your body adapts adding mileage gets easier. and a long race, even a 10 miler or a half, can be a really great experience.

J~Mom said...

I think training for a half or a full if you don't REALLY want to would really suck. ;>) Stick to 5ks and 10ks if they are sound more fun. OR better yet, get that bike and start triathlon training. *GRIN*

Marcy said...

I agree with Lisa! Start small and if after a couple 5 and 10K's you decide you want to up the mileage then go for it. If not, then it's cool too :-) Just don't go to the "dark" side LOL :P

Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend. Ahhhhhhhhhh

J~Mom said...

Nice English, huh? You know what I meant. :>P

jahowie said...

I agree with WS. I hated running when I took it back up, but as I started to get in better running shape and did some longer runs it has started to be fun. Hang in there!!

Wes said...

Things like a side stitch require an adjustment, like walking for 2-5 minutes. Not a big deal. Persevere :-)

I used to take my van around the neighborhood and load it full of kids to take to the pool. It wasn't uncommon for me to stuff 10-12 kids in the van. The parents thought I was crazy, but I had a blast. I just kept getting out of the pool chair every 10-15 minutes to see if one of the kids was on the bottom of the pool :-) LOL. I'm batting 1000!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Great job on pushing through and finishing your run. Try a longer run and see if you like it. Warning: it can get addicting...you might find yourself training for a full next. :-)

Mendy said...

I agree. Don't train for any long races, unless your heart is into it, or else it will feel like a chore. It got that way with me.

Lisa had a great idea, start crosstraining 100% (as hubby says), and then you're end up in a tri! hint hint