Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Taking Care of My Baby

Sorry I have been MIA for a little while. On Friday, my Grandpa George passed away. It was sudden. But not. It was awful. But not. There have been so many mixed emotions over the past few days and thankfully I have a counseling appointment this morning to get to talk some of it out.

I got a call from my mom at about 2:00 p.m. on Friday telling me that my grandpa fell off the combine and died. They actually think it was a massive stroke or heart attack, but since there was no autopsy, we don't really know. He ate lunch, teased my grandma that the biscuits were too hard, laid down for a few minutes (which was very uncommon) and then went back out to the farm with my uncle. My uncle dropped him off at the combine, went to hook up the wagon and then was going right back to help my grandpa into the combine. I guess Grandpa didn't want to wait because when my uncle returned, he was laying on the ground with no pulse and wasn't breathing. He started CPR immediately and the ambulance came. He never regained any signs of life.

Since Kruex passed away in March, Grandpa has been going downhill. He has said many times that he thought it should have been him that died instead. We are thankful that he didn't have a stroke that left him either bed-ridden or hospitalized. He would not have been happy with that at all. We are thankful that he wasn't actually driving the combine when it happened and taken the chance of hurting someone else. And we are very thankful that he also was able to die doing what he loved the most. There are so many things that I will miss so much about my Grandpa. We were so close. But I finally decided last night that the thing I will miss the most is the twinkle in his eye.

They had just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary and it is a wonderful weight off of me to know that we were all together with no negative feelings. We had a full weekend of family and it was so nice. It was wonderful to be able to reconnect with a family that we had lost touch with. And I know there is nothing that would make Grandpa happier. I also know without a doubt that my baby is now getting to know my Grandpa. Something that has been so important to me for so long. So, my request to my Grandpa is - Teach Kruex to play ball. Teach him to play cards. And take him for a ride in the tractor.

I love you Grandpa.

18 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

I am so sorry, I do not know where to begin. Your family is in my prayers, K. now has someone to spoil him and now you have two special angels watching over you. I sincerely wish the best for you and your family during this trying time. I hope that the session today will be helpful and you are able to get some of the weight off your shoulders. You have had one hell of a year that I would not wish on anyone. I am prould of how you have come back after what happened earlier this year and just as you are starting to stand strong, this happens. I am so sorry that this happened, however as you indicated he died doing what he loves, lived a long happy life with a wonderful wife and family. God bless all of you, you are in my prayers. If you need anything, feel free to email me. I will do anything I can, even if it is just a shoulder to cry on or lend you an ear. Eric

Wes said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! But I still think you got it all wrong. It is Kruex who is going to be teaching us a thing or two :-)

David said...

I can only hope to have my life in such a state of peace and order when I finally depart. Thanks for the insight to a good man.

ws said...

sorry to hear about your loss. the last three lines of this post, so, so touching. thank you for sharing.

Larissa said...

I can't say how sorry I am. You have a beautiful perspective on it but I also hear and understand your sorrow.

I know you don't know me from Adam, but still let me know if there's anything I can do.

You are in my prayers.

jahowie said...

You seem to have found peace in your life and you are dealing with this in a beautiful way. I'm very sorry for you loss. You will be in my thoughts.

Michelle said...

Oh, Lori, I am so sorry.

At least it sounds like your grandpa didn't suffer because of the swiftness of it all.

My grandma died of a massive stroke 22 years ago. It was sudden that she didn't know what happened. Sort of like your grandpa.

I am sure your grandpa is up there with Kruex now, watching over him and teaching him all those things he didn't have time to learn here on Earth.

Huge hugs for you and your family, Lori. I am also here to listen, if you need me. :-)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Lori Said:We are thankful that he didn't have a stroke that left him either bed-ridden or hospitalized. He would not have been happy with that at all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First of all so sorry to hear about ur loss Lori, the above part I can relate to...My Mom passed away suddenly at the young age of 62, but we all know how my Mom was and IF she was bed ridden or hospitalized for an extending period of time, she SOOOOOO wouldn't have been happy about that ...

so in a way we were thankful it was sudden even though it sucked at the same time:-(

Thanks for sharing this touching post & God Bless you !!

J~Mom said...

Lori, I am so sorry for the loss. What a beautiful post and a beautiful tribute. I love you girl and you know where I am if you need anything. ((((HUGS)))

Marcy said...

I'm sorry I'm getting to this so late ((((HUGS))) chica!!! I'm so so sorry for your loss. If there is ANYTHING I can do gimme a buzz, k? :-)

Jess said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Nikki said...

I thought I posted :-/

I am really sorry for your loss Lori :'( Happy to hear Kruex will be playing with such a great man!

Mendy said...

Ahhh.... Sweetie.. I'm sooo very sorry for your loss, and the loss to your family, your Grandmother. You are in my prayers.

Thanks for sharing an insight into your Grandfather's life. Very touching!

Hope your session went well today. I'll be thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Amen to Kruex and Grandpa riding that tractor together. I'm sure the sun is shining and the breeze is blowing all their cares away.

Scott McMurtrey said...

sudden or not, these things are never easy. you and your family are in my thoughts.

Grandma said...

when you picture Kruex and your Grandpa together, know that they are:) take care...thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Amy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

Laurel said...

Thank you for the beautiful post. Your Grandpa sounds like a wonderful man. I'm sorry for this loss, and the others you have experienced recently. I honestly am amazed at how well you seem to be coping during this difficult time.