Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Work, Weights & Wheels

It has been one crazy busy day! Work was a madhouse...I don't know what I have told them, but apparently they think I am there to do things other than surf the net :P Nah, actually it was kind of nice to be so busy today, makes time go much faster. Another upper body workout at the gym over lunch followed by an awesome protein smoothie. Followed with a full afternoon of *gasp* work! LOL

I was beat when I picked the kids up and got home, but I needed my mom to keep the kids tonight and tomorrow since I have to be back at the job at 7 a.m. So, threw food towards them, packed bags and back in the car to go to grama's house ;) I decided while I was there that I was going to get my bike in my car one way or another and that I did. So, as soon as I got home, I yanked the kid seat off the back (because really...I like to pretend that I am too cool for that :P) and figured it was now or never. It was moment of truth time, ladies and gentlemen...

Can she still ride a bike?

Will the pedals even turn anymore?

Will she be found hours from now laying in a ditch crying?

No, yes and no. Miracle of miracles, I was able to ride the bike and even turn corners! lol The pedals did turn, but not happily. That poor old guy is hurting...almost as much as the actual poor old guy that I nearly ran over (twice) on the bike/walking trail that I chose to make my maiden voyage on. The brakes squealed so loud that I tried to use them as little as possible...especially whenever people were around. And I know without doubt that it is set up about as wrong for me as it would be for someone 6 inches shorter than me. Just not even close. BUT, that wind blowing in my face was FREAKING AWESOME!!!! I wanna pedal, man! It was a short ride, maybe 5 miles, but I only had about 20 minutes until the sun went down and I knew if I didn't take the opportunity sans children, it may be some time before the chance came around again and I am soooooooo glad I did!

So, to sum it up, I worked my tail off today and am going to drop in bed feeling like it was a good day :)

13 comments:

David said...

There is no feeling so liberating for me as to jump on the bike and head out. Some times I just go ride with no real idea where I'm going. Can't get that feeling from running, and certainly not from swimming in a pool!

Good job, and get back out there!

Jason The Running Man said...

Awesome job getting on the bike, you did great! I love the bike too and someday I will get a better rig then I currently have.

Nikki said...

ohhhhh on the brakes!!! Actually I"m laughing about it! Been a while eh? ;)

Great job working your tail!!

jahowie said...

I'm so glad that you had a good day and that you were able to have fun on the bike. Soon, you will fall in love with it and have to get all of the gear, and start hanging out with people that should and should not be in spandex. :-)

Ashli said...

Way to go on getting back on the bike! Forgive me as I am playing catch up on your blog. I'm slowly gaining blogs that I read. I, like you, have some of the same issues with what people think my workload consists of. My family wants me to clean and cook...and I'm like what?! I just want to read BLOGS...you act like I'm a mother or something!
Oh and kudos to you for getting to church instead of the gym the other day. Sometimes our soul needs a workout more than our physical body.

Unknown said...

Awesome job on your ride! I too just rediscovered the joy of riding...great isn't it? :-)

Marcy said...

OMFG!!! I love this "I yanked the kid seat off the back (because really...I like to pretend that I am too cool for that :P" HAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA You know it!!!! It's always wonderful when I have rap music on (without the kids in the car) and people look over and see me with my 2 kiddie carseats in the back :P

Gotta Run..... said...

Yes, I am a biker lover as well. No time for rest in my house :)

As for your question on the Body Pump. I would not do back to back weight lifting days. There are huge benefits to allowing a 24 hr rest before hitting the weights again. If you are FINALLY :) going to give the Body Pump class a try a should do it on a day when you have had 24 hr rest from your last weight workout. I mainly love this class because it takes 60 minutes to work the entire body and I can totally not wimp out in front of every one.

Keep me updated.

Ian said...

Just like riding a bike. Way to get back out there on the bike again. I seriously need to get back on a bike again too, but I need to find one first.

Jason The Running Man said...

Yeah "gotta run" is right about the lifting. The only reason I do back to back is if your doing a split routine...working different muscle groups. I do a 4 day split, well was, that could be done 4 days in a row but if your doing a full body routine give yourself a days rest in between!

J~Mom said...

I looove that feeling on the bike! I am so glad you got to go our for a ride!!

Mendy said...

So happy for you on enjoying the bik!. I enjoy riding, but not in traffic. If I had trails to ride my road bike on - I'd be all over it!

iJuls said...

That sounds like just the thing.