Friday, July 20, 2007

Cleaning My Closet

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~ The Guest House, by Rumi

I decided about a week ago that it was time to metaphorically "clean my closet" and get rid of angers and resentments. Life is too short for wasted energy. They just weigh too much. More even than the 15 pounds that I am working on getting off of my physical body :P So, that is my mission. Get me healthy. Inside.and.Out.

My counselor recommended this poem for me to find and she was right, it is dead on. We are given certain emotions and life-happenings for a reason. Lord knows that it is sometimes very hard to see the purpose in it, but I do believe that they will all come together to make perfect sense at some point in each of our lives. There are no chance occurrences, or meetings. The paths our lives take have been mapped out from Day 1, before really. The job we are given is to listen, learn and grow.

I have no idea how much further my map will take me, but for now, I think I would rather travel a little lighter and clean out some of this clutter that has been taking up so much space and keep traveling the road that is waiting for me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen to that. I'm bad at letting things go, even though I know I need to do it.

Nikki said...

how...tell me how! I have a few things I would love to "let go" but its those that hold the tightest on me at times.

Marcy said...

HELL YEAH!!! I've never seen that poem before but I like it and think it's VERY true, thanks for sharing it ;D

Mom tried decaf once said...

That is great! I need to print it out because I think you know I hold on to things. ;<)

iJuls said...

That's a good girl. Stay positive and let the healing begin.