Monday, February 19, 2007

Ramblings from the weekend

So over the weekend I have done a lot of research about triathlons. I definitely want to do it and don't think I am willing to wait until the kids are longer, I would just be wasting time (per the last thread). My only problem now is to figure out how to make it work with training and to find a race to actually enter. The one that I had stumbled upon that really got me thinking about this whole thing is full. From reading the blog on their website, it actually looks like that sucker fills up in about 30 minutes! Wowzers! I have heard that there is a town closer to me that has one, too, so I will do some looking into that one.

My other issue - the bike. I have gone back and forth on this topic about 100 times/ways. I think at least until I get one tri under my belt, I need to just ride whatever bike I can get my hands on that at least will make it 13 miles... I have a feeling after that first race I will be hooked and then can decide how much cash I want to fork out for a bike, but until then, I need to be more conservative with the benjamins ;)

So, this all leads me to the plan I made this weekend and things I think I figured out. Since I only have lunch hours to really do any training out of the house right now, I know that I am going to have to do more at home. I have started doing yoga and LOVE IT! My 7 year old really enjoys it, too, so I want to do at least 3 days of yoga a week and I can do those in the evenings with him. I also need some core help, so I am going to do my core maxx videos at least 2 times a week, preferably 3, and should probably aim to get those done in the mornings so there are not kids in the way while I am crying in pain...LOL This leaves my lunch hours free to take advantage of the gym and outdoors. So, three days a week will be for running (for now) and I am trying to get the guts to sign up for the RPM class at the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I really don't know if the RPM class will help a lot in terms of tris, but considering I haven't really ridden a bike since Junior High, I figure it is at least a start.

My last problem that I am going to have to figure out is obviously the swim. I can swim laps at the gym, but I don't know how to fit it in with work, etc. If I could just get one day a week in the pool right now I would be happy with it. There is a daycare at the gym, so maybe in the next few weeks I will get brave and try leaving the kids in there for an hour while I try to figure out if I still know how to swim ;)

Anyway, those are my musings so far. Let me know what you think and what things I could either change or add anywhere. I am seriously all ears!

2 comments:

J~Mom said...

I think it sounds awesome!! Great thinking and planning! I totally agree with waiting to buy your more expensive bike! The only other thing I can think of is stopping at the Gym on your way home from work before you pick up the kids to swim, is that a possibility?

Nikki said...

How about a weekend visit from Scott to watch your turkeys for an hour while you swim EARLy one day? then it wont seam like an all day thing on your precious weekends? Or Scott, mom, friend going swimming on the weekend with you and the kids..and taking two off your hands (physically) while you do laps. I know Jack can swim with you or count laps :p