Monday, October 29, 2007

That Call

This morning I got the call that I have been wanting and dreading for the past 3 1/2 months or so.

It came from the attorney that is having Kruex's case reviewed.

It was the call that confirmed that my son died 7 months ago tomorrow for no good reason.

I honestly thought I was ready for it. I really did. I knew that it was true. I knew the ER doc missed everything that was in front of him. But I suppose there was always some sort of hope in the back of my mind that I was wrong. That I really didn't know and that they really did do everything they could have done to save my baby. I don't want it to seem like I am ungrateful for what the doctors, surgeons and nurses in the Peds ICU did, because they saved his life everyday for 7 days. It was the ER doctor who did nothing for 8 hours. The one that assumed my child had the flu and that I was a mother overreacting. I haven't talked much about what happened here yet and I will try to give some of the story.

When I was 32 weeks pregnant, my water broke. I was put in the hospital and I ended up going 10 days on complete bed rest before my labor actually started. Kruex was born on June 15, 2006. He was just shy of 6 pounds, which was pretty good for not even being at 34 weeks gestation. He was taken to the Level II nursery (not nicu, but not the regular one either). He never needed oxygen and his lungs were fully developed. He had the typical preemie roller coaster and actually developed Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC). NEC is an infection that attacks the intestines. At its worse, it can cause death of part of the bowels, which would require removal. His was caught before it got to this stage. This was definitely our biggest challenge and the problem that kept him in the hospital for 4 weeks following his birth. Prior to his discharge, I specifically asked the neonatologist if there could be any further complications from the NEC. He said no. I asked more directly if I needed to pay attention when he started on solid foods. He said no. I asked, again, in comparing Kruex and my other two kids, who has a better chance of having a problem. And HE TOLD ME THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE IN RISK FACTOR.

So, on 7-13-06 Kruex came home. And everything was wonderful. He was an amazingly easy-going baby. No unnecessary crying. He even slept through the night pretty normally from about 4 months on (something his big sister still has issues doing :P) I have never been one to start solids early. I breastfeed the kids for a year, and until they get some teeth or are able to eat with the rest of the family, I really don't worry about cereal, baby food and all that jazz. So, Kruex had had his occasional treat through the mesh feeder, some baby food fruit here and there just so he felt like he was part of dinner, but never anything with any normalcy. I took him to my pediatrician for his 9 month checkup on a Friday. He was hungry and I hadn't nursed him for 3 or 4 hours when they did the weight check. His weight was a bit low. He was definitely on the smaller side, always had been since he was born. But, then again, Payton was always smaller, too, so I really never worried. My pediatrician said I needed to start feeding him cereal twice a day. And I could add veggies/fruits for another meal if I wanted to. That was on Friday.

The next Wednesday, both Kruex and Payton woke up with fevers. I called my mom to come keep them while I worked and Kruex would not eat or drink anything. Payton felt pretty good. Kruex was lethargic when I came home from work. He laid on me all night long and really didn't want to eat, but I kept trying to get him to nurse. Finally, before he went to bed he ate. And then again during the middle of the night. After that feeding, he vomited all over me. I decided to stay home with him on Thursday and by 10 a.m. I called the doctor. He had vomited twice and I couldn't keep anything in him. I was very concerned that he would dehydrate. The doctor's office couldn't get him in until 3 p.m. and since he was so small, I didn't think he should wait that long, so they suggested I just take him to the emergency room. Mom came to keep Payton and Kruex and I went to the hospital. We were admitted by noon and I honestly can't remember if I even actually saw the doctor on duty. I was convinced that it was a flu since Payton had the same fever the day before and was mainly concerned that he was dehydrated.

He didn't have the flu. He wasn't dehydrated.

He had an intestinal blockage and he was going into shock.

Probably the most important part of the story is that he was born in this same hospital. They had every one of his medical records at their fingertips. I gave them a good verbal history...to at least 5 different people while we were there. I said the word "NEC" at least 20 times. They should have at least ruled it out. And they didn't. They should have moved him to a room with more monitoring from the ER. He was put in peds general and by 6 a.m. hands/feet/groin area was completely black and blue from it shutting down on him. He went through 7 surgeries in 5 days and fought through everyone because I asked him to. I honestly believe that he finally died because I told him he could. I told him that I would be okay and that he didn't have to keep going for me.

I have never doubted the amount of love I had for that kid, but I honestly didn't think that I wasn't ready for the phone call I got today. I suppose that was a stupid thing to think. How could I have ever been ready for it?

21 comments:

Amy said...

You couldn't have been ready for any of this. I'm so sorry about the dreaded phone call, and I hope that you'll be ok today and tonight and for the next little while. I just can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling.

J~Mom said...

Lori call me if you want to talk. I am here if you need anything at all.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

sorry Lori, a Mom cannot be ready for that call... things like this we can't understand why but have to hold onto our faith...GOD BLESS YOU!!

Marcy said...

(((HUGS))) chica. I agree with Lisa. You TOTALLY know where to call if you need ANYTHING from any of "us". I will be thinking of you.

ws said...

Well, I don't know anything about parenting but that was a really moving story and I'd agree that nothing could prepare you for that call. I hope you are doing OK and I'll be thinking about you...even on my run in the AM.

Nikki said...

I cant' post the words going through my head, and I guess I was hoping no one was to blame and that Kruex didn't need to leave because of someones fault.

My heart breaks all over again reading the details I already knew...I HATE HATE HATE everything you and your family have had to endure..and will endure in the future because of one persons mistakes.

I love you Lori. I'm proud of you,your a fabulous Mom and Kruex has a perfect mommie.

Laurel said...

Thanks for sharing the story with us. I hope it helped at least in a tiny way to get it out again.

We're here whenever you need to vent, cry, scream or laugh. I'm so sorry you, your family and Kruex had to to through this.

jahowie said...

I'm sorry that you got that dreaded phone call. It looks like you have plenty of friends to talk to, but I want to offer my ear as well. You can e-mail me anytime if you need someone to talk to.

Krista said...

I cannot imagine how you're feeling. It's been an intense year for you, and it sounds like you have a lot of people praying that you're able to wade through this. Think of all that support - whether you know us or not - when you're feeling hopeless.

Pokey said...

I'm sorry Lori....as a mom, my heart goes out to you.

Grandma said...

thinking of you Lori. I am so sorry.

Scott McMurtrey said...

you have a great support network here. we're a shoulder to lean on whenever you need it.

Vickie said...

A very sad situation, to say the least. I'm sorry you had to experience this. I can understand how you feel the hospital was negligent, and they probably were. With any luck, this case will settle and not drag out into a long drawn out legal battle that will keep things fresh for you until its over. I can imagine you don't necessarily want any money for your loss and pain and suffering and for that of the baby, you just want them to understand that because of their neglect, your baby died, and how much would it have taken to have run a test or did a little more checking? Sometimes its the only way to teach a lesson. I work for lawyers, I know what they can put you through. They have to protect their client, but your lawyer will be fighting for you, his client, so I hope this settles fast. You have had to go through so much in your short life. I always believe and hope some good has to come out of something like this.

David said...

Thank you for sharing that with us. It's what nobody would ever ask you share, but I'm sure many of us hoped to know when the time was right.

Lori, you'll continute to be in our thoughts and prayers. Don't do this thing alone, because there are a bunch of people that care about you and can help shoulder the weight. And, bottom line: you are a great mom! You do a great job now, and from what I can tell you always have.

Marathoner in Training said...

Lori,
As a DAD of 3, I can only imagine what you went/are going through. A parent should never go through that with any child, we should never out live our children.
As for the medical staff, obviously I do not know them, but I am surprised that that did not at least rule that out, or check on it. Unfortunately you have to live with the loss of your child, and for that you will be in my prayers. Keep your chin up.

My Life said...

Babies and their mommies are amazing creations. My heart goes out to you.

Jess said...

That is a truly tragic story. I've never heard it before, and reading it brought tears to my eyes and gave me a lump in my throat. I can't imagine experiencing what you have, and I'm certain that the call you received brought back everything that you were just beginning to recover from.

All I can say, is thanks for sharing the story. It's brave of you to put so much of your grief here for us to share.

Mendy said...

I, too had tears in my eyes when reading this yesterday and couldn't respond while at work. I'm so sorry for all that you've been through Lori, and I just can't imagine how that feels.

Sharing the story was tough, I imagine and feel blessed that you felt lead to do so here to us. We are all here for you! and please email/call me anytime you'd like to talk if you need to...

Mendy

Michelle said...

((HUGE HUGS)) Lori.

I agree that no mother could be prepared for that call, no matter how prepared you think you are. You are a strong woman and I admire you greatly. I am just so sorry your strength had to come out because of something so terrible. :-(

Paul said...

Thanks for sharing that. You are an amazingly strong person. :)

Unknown said...

What a tragic event to have to work through. I can only begin to imagine what you have and continue to go through. *Big Hugs*